Friday, September 14, 2012

Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Now that school is back in full swing, I've had a hard time coming up with meals and snacks that are semi-healthy that Jeremy will eat. One recipe that I found is homemade granola bars! They are a great afternoon snack that is full of protein, fiber and you know, that healthy stuff. So, Here's the recipe:


  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (most recipes call for creamy, but we like crunchy!)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tbs coconut oil (Here's an article about why coconut oil is amazing)
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1 cup puffed rice cereal
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons wheat germ (maybe if you don't have wheat germ try some whole wheat flour. I think it just needs something to make it hold together a little more)
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate chips because I'm awesome like that)
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut, dried cranberries, raisins, etc (you add what sounds good to you... I added only shredded coconut because it blends in well)
So here's what you do:
  1. In mixing bowl, combine all  dry ingredients except for chocolate chips, and stir well.
  2. Melt peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil together in a small sauce pan over low/medium heat, stirring constantly.  It only takes a minute or two to melt.
  3. Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture and stir til well combined.
  4. Let cool in bowl for several minutes.
  5. Place mixture into foil lined 9x13 pan and press down firmly.
  6. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top and press down firmly with hands.
  7. Place in fridge or freezer to set.
  8. Flip the foil out onto cutting board and cut into desired bar sizes.
  9. Store in fridge for best results.

No comments: