OK, our last stop on our trip before we rushed home was the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado. Being a Florida girl, I know a little about sand dunes. So, I just had to know what these dunes were doing in the middle of the country.

But first, we had to drive across the Rio Grande National Forrest. We weren't expecting to drive across a mountain range, and the RV overheated just before we got to the top. Luckily, we were "stuck" with a beautiful view where we could wait around a little while before we were able to leave.

We thought we were going to hang out for a few days at the Great Sand Dunes, but there was a massive wild fire on the mountain right next to the dunes. They were still letting people come into the park, so we went to check it out.

OK, I know this looks really bad (it really was) but I promise we were safe and the fire was pretty far away and the went was blowing away from us.


Speaking of wind.... I know it is kind of hard to see, but we really couldn't stay long because we were being pelted by sand.

I was really impressed with how tall these dunes are! There was one random guy walking around by the dunes so you can see some perspective on how just how massive these things really are. I wanted to get closer, but Jeremy was pretty upset by the sand stinging his legs.


I'm hoping we can come back to the dunes one day when we can spend some more time. We were really looking forward to sledding down those dunes!

No comments:
Post a Comment