Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Cross Country Roadtrip: Banff National Park, Canada

We finally passed the border into Canada today, eh. (In case you didn't catch it that was a little Canadian humor for you.) We are headed to Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies.Just a few miles into the park Joey spotted a black bear right near the road. When we got to our campsite they were doing a little presentation about "Cats and Dogs of Banff." While most of it was about cougars, lynx, wolves and coyotes, they did say that it is extremely rare to see bears in and around Banff.I know I've posted lots of pictures of deer, but really... I had to add this one. So, I know America is the weird one for using miles, but really its funny to see the km/h signs. Joey was driving and he quickly realized he had no idea how fast he was supposed to be going.
Jeremy was excited to get out and play and wander around the camp grounds. He makes fast friends with everyone he meets with his buffalo hat on.The first place we visited in Banff was Lake Louise. Right on the shore of the lake is the very fancy Fairmont Chateau. Wanda said she had always wanted to have lunch there. This was the view from our table. Beside the lake was a huge garden with tons of flowers.... and yes, I wanted to photograph everyone.Ok, well, maybe just some poppies.I guess we were on the British side of Canada because they had fish and chips as their special.On that big mountain in the back ground is a big hunk of snow and ice... that is the Victoria Glacier.This guy was all dressed up in his Swiss garb and played some songs on his alpenhorn (Ricola instrument.) He was kind of funny and would tell you where to stand to get a good picture of him. We stopped by this place where a train track was dug into the mountain and makes a circle. If you look at the picture below you can see where the train is going in the tunnel on the top left and out the bottom right.Jeremy told me to take a picture of him with this tree to blog because it is his size tree.This is the Tokakkaw falls, which means "it is magnificent" or "it is wonderful" in Cree. It is one of the second largest waterfalls in western Canada.Uncle David has always been one of Jeremy's heros. So, Jeremy was very excited when Uncle D read him a book. I just thought this was cute.Did I mention the water is clear and blue here. I am not that good at photo editing.... so, this is just the color the water is. We liked this little lake so we stopped to take a little hike to the water and found a moose on the other side of the lake.Banff is my new favorite place!

No comments: