Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Happy Birthday to my sweet five year old boy

It's hard to be five. I'm little no more. Good old days are gone. Bye one, two, three, four.
It's hard to be five. Just yelled at my mother. My mind says do one thing, my mouth says another.
It's hard to be five. I've got to keep going. My clothes can't keep up 'cause my body keeps growing.
At five I hear NO and DON'T-I can't win! When balls bowl inside at my juice box pins. I'd rather hear TRY IT and SURE, I confess... and if dirt is involved, a very loud YES!
It's hard to be five. Parents want you all clean. But washing my face makes me crabby and mean.
It's hard to be five. All I want is to play. I'm starting at school, and I don't get a say. School seems so scary. School seems so strange. I'm only five. My whole world's going to change.
It's hard to be five and wanting to hit when Scott cuts in line and says I did it. At five I do things that I don't mean to do, like when I bit Jake 'cause he cut in line too.
It's hard to be five. It takes superman skill. Sitting in circles. Sitting so still. Still sitting. Still sitting still..... Still.... sitting.... still. SIT STILL!
And then there's the walking all by myself, only picked up to reach a high shelf. I walk to the park. I walk to the school. I walk to the bus. I walk to the school. I walk to karate. I walk with closed eyes. I walk like a ninja chopping bad guys.
It's fun to be five! Big changes are here! My body's my car, and I'm licensed to steer.
At five I'm a worker-a bee among bees. I build things and grow things, say thank you and please.
Some fun things are hard. And some hard things are fun. I know when to walk. I know when to run. I know when to stop. And I know when to go. I know when to push. And I know when to tow.
At five I can lie down alone in my bed and dream of my past and my future ahead. And when I mess up or do right, it's a start 'cause I have my own mind and I have my own heart.
It's hard fun to be five so strong and so loud. Give me FIVE 'cause I know it. I'M HEAR AND I'M PROUD!
-by Jamie Lee Curtis & Laura Cornell

No comments: