Tuesday, May 05, 2009

St. Augustine

Joey and I both needed a break from the daily grind and we had the opportunity to take a little trip down to St Augustine for a few days. Luckily, our chance came the weekend before our anniversary, so it was perfect. Mimi came with us to since she would have otherwise been home alone (Ya-ya and Eric are in Puerto Rico and Ray-Ray was in the Keys.)
The first morning, we got up early to see the sun rise. Unfortunately, I've deleted ALL of the pictures other than this one. Our condo was really nice! Jeremy was especially excited about the shuffle board. I've never played or seen anyone else play... so I couldn't tell you if he was any good or not. Our first stop was to downtown St. Augustine. Jeremy LOVED the fort! Cannons and wars are really exciting to him!
Jeremy checking out a cannon. He really wanted to know how they worked.
We talked to the soldier for a little while about what soldiers did while they were in the fort.
Our next stop was to Fort Matanzas right down the street. It was a smaller park and the entrance was free. The fort is on the other side of an inlet so they had a ferry to take us across.
The National Parks have a Junior Ranger program at many of their parks that is free. Jeremy was very excited to receive his first badge and certificate. He took his job as a Junior Ranger very serious and has been diligent to pick up every piece of trash, gum wrapper, etc that he sees. The next day we spent a lot of time on the beach. Jeremy and Mimi got up very early to make sand "forts." The shells on top are the soldiers and there is a drawbridge.We practiced writing our names in the sand. So, I was trying to get Jeremy to hold a snail shell and I asked him to sit down in the sand. He was really fidgety and stuck his hand down in the sand.

He thought he had found a big shell in the sand. And before he had any idea what was going on...
he pulled up a crab. It scared him becase I'm sure it was pinching his tiny fingers. In maybe less than two seconds he had climbed up me and was clamped onto my head like a cartoon cat jumping out of a bathtub. The funniest part of the story was that when we got home and were looking at the pictures, we realized that was not ONE crab... it was TWO!
Jeremy was a little traumatized for a while. But after we ashured him that we would not make him go back to the beach until we get him a "crab-detector" he was fine. Now... can someone tell me where I can find a crab-dectector???

1 comment:

Kelli said...

you didnt call me! :(