Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Family Vacation Day 5, Chimney Rock and Cades Cove

The next stop on our family vacation was Chimney Rock, North Carolina. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. There were several different places to hike to, and a few really cool places that you could take an elevator through the mountain to without too much work.
This is the Chimney of Chimney Rock, and is the site where the Last of the Mohican's and a few other movies have been filmed. Dirty Dancing was filmed at Lake Lure which is at the bottom of the mountain.Jeremy thought he was the sheriff of the mountain with his Chimney Rock badge.Apparently, we hadn't had enough hiking at Stone Mountain, so we hiked to the waterfall (a little more prepared this time.) Did I mention how beautiful it was. I really want to upload about fifty more pictures, but none of them do it justice!When we arrived at the park I asked the guide if there was water in the water falls. He looked a little puzzled but after my last waterfall adventure, I thought it was best to ask (click here to see our Falling Waters adventure.) Although the Carolina's have been under a server drought there is still water left.
After a few hours at Chimney Rock, we got back in the car to head to the Smokey Mountains.The last time we were at the mountains was almost exactly three years ago when Jeremy was just one. He obviously didn't remember the mountains at all, and was in awe for at least two minutes. This pictures is from Newfound Gap which is around the center of the Great Smokey Mountains so it is an amazing view from all sides.Joey pointed out this sign leading to a trail. I don't think I would make it if I had to hike to Maine! We took Jeremy to Cades Cove where we saw 5 wild turkeys, a momma bear and two cubs, and 54 deer (one of which was only about thirty feet away.)

I've been having a lot of fun with my camera. This was an attempt at photo stitching.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Looks like ya'll had a great time! Awesome pics! We know a guy who is on the Appilachian trail right now and is averaging about 80 miles a week.